Top 5 Tips to Prep for Summer Vacation
Summer vacation is a time for relaxation, adventure, and making lasting memories with your baby. However, traveling with little one(s) requires some extra prep work to ensure a smooth and enjoyable experience for the whole family. Don’t worry though, your friends here at Sophie la Girafe Babycare are here to help!
In this blog post, we will share our Top 5 Tips to Prep the Family for Summer Vacation so you can make the most of your trip while keeping your little bundle of joy happy and comfortable.
- Plan Ahead and Pack Smart
- When traveling with a baby, planning ahead is crucial. Start by making a checklist of essential items such as diapers, 99% Water Wipes, formula (if applicable), baby food, extra clothes, and blankets. Depending on your destination, also consider sun protection items like hats, sunscreen, and lightweight clothing to keep your baby safe from harmful UV rays. Pack enough supplies to last throughout the trip, and if possible, bring a little extra to account for any unforeseen circumstances.
- Choose Baby-Friendly Accommodations
- When choosing where you’ll call home (for at least a few days), prioritize baby-friendly options. Look for hotels or rental properties that offer amenities such as cribs, high chairs, and baby-proofed rooms. Having these conveniences readily available will save you from having to bring bulky items from home. Additionally, opt for a location that has essential facilities nearby like grocery stores and pharmacies just in case you need to restock any baby supplies.
- Stick to Your Baby's Routine
- Babies thrive on routine, and disrupting their schedule can lead to crankiness and sleep disturbances. While it might not be possible to maintain your regular routine 100%, try to incorporate some elements into your vacation schedule. If your baby has specific nap times or feeding routines, try to adhere to them as closely as possible. Familiarity and consistency will help your little one feel more comfortable in an unfamiliar environment.
- Be Mindful of the Heat
- Summer vacations often involve warm weather, and it's crucial to protect your baby from the heat and sun. Keep little ones cool and comfortable by dressing them in lightweight, breathable clothing and using a stroller with adequate ventilation. Avoid direct sunlight during peak hours (usually between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.), seek shade whenever possible, reapply baby-safe sunscreen with a high SPF regularly, and don’t forget to hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!
- Prepare for Travel Challenges
- Traveling with a baby can present unique challenges, especially during long journeys. To make the experience more manageable, plan for frequent breaks to allow your baby to stretch, eat, and have diaper changes. Bring along familiar toys, books, or pacifiers to keep your little one entertained while on your way. If you're traveling by car, consider installing sunshades on the windows to shield your baby from direct sunlight and if by airplane, pack essentials such as extra diapers, 99% Water Wipes, and a change of clothes in your carry-on bag, in case of unexpected delays or accidents.
Prepping for summer vacation with your baby requires careful planning and organization but with some proper preparation, you can eliminate some of the stress and focus on creating tons of fun memories with your little one.
What are some of your best practices for summer travel? Let us know on Instagram @sophielagirafebabycare – we love hearing from you!